Are you in the ecommerce business and are considering diving into small parcel shipping? Shipping can be a complicated and costly aspect of ecommerce, but it’s also one of the most crucial aspects to get right for the success of your business.
Whether you’re just starting or looking to optimize your shipping process, this comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need, from understanding small parcel shipping to breaking down costs and exploring international options. Refrain from letting the shipping process intimidate you; with the proper knowledge, it’s easier than you think to find a shipping solution that’s both efficient and cost-effective for your e-commerce needs.
What Is Small Parcel Shipping and How Does it Work?
Small parcel shipping is a method used mainly for transporting goods or packages that are lightweight and manageable by a single individual. Generally, this kind of shipment comprises packages weighing less than 70 to 150 pounds, depending on the specific guidelines of the shipping courier like FedEx or UPS. Due to the manageable weight and size, these packages are not palletized, making them easier and more affordable to transport compared to larger freight.
The process begins when the details about a packed container are sent to a shipping carrier, which in return provides a rate and tracking number. This information can be shared through local couriers such as UPS or FedEx or via a software system that interfaces with carrier APIs. Once the parcel is packed appropriately, it is handed over to a carrier for delivery. Small parcel shipping is commonly used for online retail or individual sales orders. It often offers fast, one- to two-day shipping directly to customers, making it a convenient choice for e-commerce businesses and consumers.
What are the Types of Small Parcel Shipping Services Offered?
Small parcel shipping services cater to the transportation needs of relatively light and small packages. Here are some of the types of small parcel shipping services:
- Ground Shipping: This is also known as standard shipping, where packages are transported via land vehicles. It’s often used for less urgent deliveries and is known for being cost-effective.
- Air Shipping: For more time-sensitive shipments, air shipping is used to transport packages via air, ensuring faster delivery times than ground shipping.
- Expedited Services: These services, like Expedited and Expedited Max offered by DHL eCommerce, provide faster delivery than standard ground shipping. They’re designed for urgent shipments requiring prompt delivery.
- Economy Services: SmartMailParcel Plus Ground by DHL eCommerce, or FedEx Ground Economy, are designed to offer cost-effective solutions for less urgent shipments.
- Specific Carrier Services: FedEx, UPS, DHL, and USPS offer various small parcel shipping services with different delivery timeframes and costs. For example, USPS has services for small packages up to 13oz, and larger packages can be sent via USPS Ground or Priority Mail.
What are the Benefits of Using Small Parcel Shipping?
Utilizing small parcel shipping comes with several advantages:
- Cost Efficiency: Small parcel shipping is generally more affordable than freight shipping, especially when the shipments meet certain size and weight requirements.
- Flexibility: With various service levels like same-day, next-day, two-day, and three-day shipping, small parcel shipping provides flexibility in choosing the right mode and service level that suits the urgency and budget of the shipment.
- High Volume Delivery: Small parcels are delivered in high volume, often making them more affordable and efficient for businesses handling a large number of small shipments.
- Economical For Smaller Shipments: Small parcel shipping is economical for businesses or individuals who need to ship a few small packages at a time.
What are the Costs Involved in Small Parcel Shipping?
Small parcel shipping costs can vary based on several factors. Here are some of the costs involved:
- Shipping Rates: The main cost is the shipping rate charged by the carrier. Different carriers have different rates. For instance, USPS often has the best rates for smaller, lightweight packages under 1 lb. UPS is competitive for ground shipping, while FedEx is usually the most expensive, especially for business deliveries and niche shipments like sending frozen food packages.
- Weight and Size of Package: The package’s weight and size significantly affect the cost. For instance, USPS Ground Advantage costs start from $8.33, USPS Priority Mail from $9.92, and Ground Drop Off from $18.07, with prices fluctuating based on the package’s weight, size, and destination.
- Residential Surcharge: A residential surcharge may apply if a package is delivered to a non-commercial address or a home-based business. This fee is common across various shipping carriers and should be aware of before shipping.
What are the Factors Affecting Small Parcel Shipping Costs?
The cost of shipping small parcels is not arbitrary but influenced by several factors:
- Shipping Destination: The farther the destination, the higher the shipping cost. International shipping or cross-country deliveries usually cost more.
- Shipping Volumes: High-volume shippers might receive discounts, impacting the overall cost.
- Product Characteristics: If your shipment requires special attention due to its nature (fragile, hazardous, heavy, large, odd-shaped, perishable, or temperature-controlled), the cost and complexity of shipping increase.
- Carrier Selection: Different carriers have different pricing structures. Your choice of carrier can significantly affect the cost.
Let’s Help You with Small Parcel Shipping!
Need help with small parcel shipping for your e-commerce business? Don’t be. At Warehousing and Fulfillment, we’re experts in helping you find the best shipping solutions at the right price. We’re not a vendor; we’re a guide.
Our team has years of experience, and we aim to get you free quotes from qualified vendors. You pick what works for you without any hidden fees or strings attached. Why? Because we believe in a win-win setup that benefits your business. So don’t waste any more time. Fill out our quote request form now, and let us find the perfect shipping solution for you!
FAQs about Small Parcel Shipping
What is the Cheapest Way to Ship a Small Package?
The most economical method for shipping a small package, particularly those under 2 pounds, is typically through the United States Postal Service (USPS), especially when shipping clothing.
What is Considered Parcel Shipping?
Parcel shipping refers to the transportation of small, lightweight items, generally weighing less than 100 pounds, that can be moved without assistance.
What is Cargo and Parcel?
Cargo and Parcel both pertain to items that need to be delivered, but they differ in size and handling. Cargo refers to larger freight carried by ships, aircraft, or other vehicles, often dealing with bulky parcels or shipments.