Virginia fulfillment has several advantages over other locations. Primarily, this state is a good choice for companies looking to serve the East Coast or ship to other countries.
Virginia has one intermodal container transfer facility and four marine terminals. The ports are named after their location. There is the APM Terminals Virginia at Portsmouth, Portsmouth Marine Terminal, Norfolk International Terminals, Newport News Marine Terminal, and the Virginia Inland Port. Virginia shipping ports has two major Class 1 railroads serving the ports for your shipping needs. Speaking of shipping, Virginia is very close to FedEx, UPS and USPS shipping hubs as well as large U.S. populations.
Norkfolk and Richmond Virginia Fulfillment Companies
The state of Virginia has a couple of hotbeds when it comes to fulfillment providers – namely Norfolk (for its port) and Richmond. Both of these cities offer tremendous choices for finding a quality logistics firm, as there are a multitude of companies with headquarters in these areas. Some other cities that deserve some attention include Roanoke, and Virginia Beach.
Despite being a tech hub, Richmond has a lot of fulfillment centers that cater to many types of industries. Keep in mind bigger cities like Richmond are often very competitive, so it perhaps shouldn't become your first choice. Other nearby cities have just as many choices.
And if you need an alternative for Norfolk or Chesapeake, Virginia Beach is a good alternative. You're also a short drive from the ocean so you can ship things to European markets you need to focus on. Being in a city like Virginia Beach along the Atlantic Ocean gives you access to ports so you can ship items overseas.
Virginia Fulfillment and Distribution Services Companies
Distribution companies are abundant in Virginia and this sector continues to grow with companies like The Home Depot, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware and Amazon.com. Virginia is attractive due to its proximity to Eastern U.S. and Midwest markets. Let's take a look at the top cities for warehousing services companies in Virginia.
- Chesterfield, VA tops the list of top cities to locate your warehouse. Chesterfield has the second lowest power costs in the region. The study surveyed cites that fall in line with corporate site selection trends that favor locations with strong links to the global marketplace via Class I intermodal rail terminals and deepwater container port operations. The operating costs in the survey were scaled to a hypothetical 500,000 square foot distribution center with 150 workers. The study also took into consideration factors important in site selection, such as labor, real estate, construction, taxes, utilities and shipping.
- Richmond- As the capital of Virginia, it is one of America’s oldest cities while remaining modern and vibrant. Richmond is only 90 miles from major metropolitan areas such as DC to the north and Norfolk/Hampton Roads to the east. Currently, 18 Fortune 500 companies have their headquarters in Virginia. Virginia is home to over 8 million people who are privy to world-class event venues, hotels and entertainment. Richmond’s footprint of distribution centers of massive size and economic impact was influenced by the arrival of Amazon in 2012 when they opened a 1-million-square-foot, $85 million fulfillment center in Chesterfield County’s Meadowville Technology Park. Amazon alone employs around 1,100 workers and adds an additional 2,000 during the holiday season. Amazon also simultaneously opened another $50 million distribution fulfillment center in Dinwiddie County also located in Richmond.
- Dulles- Dulles is home to Virginia’s largest airport which provides international and domestic services for cargo and passengers. Dulles is an attractive city for warehouse companies due to its steady expansion of facilities. Virginia’s transportation infrastructure offers key advantages to businesses allowing them to easily distribute goods to their customers around the world.
- Front Royal- The Virginia Inland Port resides in Front Royal serving as an intermodal collection point for containers from West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Northern Virginia to name a few.
- Norfolk- Norfolk is considered to be the historic, urban, financial and cultural center of the region. It has a history of being a strong transportation point. Norfolk is home to the largest Navy base in the world. The city is bordered by several bodies of water. It has a population of around 247,189 making it the second most populous city of Virginia.
- Chesapeake- Located on the Atlantic Coastal Waterway, Chesapeake has miles of waterfront industrial and commercial businesses. Take your cue from Amazon once again, who also has a distribution center located in Chesapeake along with Toys R Us and The Dollar Tree.
- Suffolk- If Target’s distribution center isn’t reason enough to look at Suffolk for your next warehouse then the fact that it is the largest city in Virginia and the 14th largest city in the country should seal the deal. Suffolk also contains miles of waterfront property on the Nansemond and James River.
The industry as a whole has many highlights:
- Employs over 720,000 people
- The global logisitics industry has a direct economic output of $11.11 billion and supports an additional $9.3 billion in economic activity in Virginia alone
- Virginia is centrally located on the East Coast and is within a one-day drive time of nearly 43 percent of the US population
We would love to connect you with the right 3rd party logistics company for your business and give you a competitive advantage. We specialize in helping companies find the ideal location to distribute their goods. For more information, contact us today!
3PL Warehouse Companies in Virginia: One of the Best U.S. States for Business
If you're looking for 3PL warehouse companies in Virginia this new year, you'll probably discover one thing: Many 3PL's exist in the state. That's because those warehouses know Virginia is one of the best cities in the nation for business. Even Forbes ranked Virginia #7 within their list of best business-oriented states.
With this in mind, don't hesitate to seriously consider Virginia when searching for a 3PL warehouse. In particular, the capital city of Richmond is a supreme spot for a number of reasons based on proximity to advantageous locations.
You also have a couple of notable ports that are some of the leading gateways for domestic and international shipments on the U.S. East Coast. Plus, with many active railroads and fourteen airports in Virginia, you can see why it's one of the top central locations for distributing goods.
Take a closer look at Virginia's attributes so you can see for yourself why The Old Dominion state is a strong place to find a 3PL.
Why Richmond is a Strong Business Center
The reasons for choosing a 3PL in or near Richmond are extremely positive. Because it's the capital city, you already have advantages in the extreme growth the city experienced in recent years. Statistics show shipments from Richmond can reach half of all 50 states in just one day. In addition, 55% of the entire U.S. population is within 750 miles of Richmond.
You can see why Richmond is close to an American grand central for shipping goods. However, you have easy routing through southern states and the regional area. Virginia has the third largest transportation network in America.
Another positive using a 3PL in Virginia is the state has superior shipping infrastructure. However, it doesn't necessarily mean a 3PL you use there has the proper equipment you need.
While vetting is important, you still need to look at your warehouse's vicinity to two notable ports.
Warehousing Near the Port of Virginia
This port near Norfolk is the third busiest container port in the U.S. It's a prime example of the infrastructure quality in Virginia because the port has no natural obstructions in their channel. With easier access to ocean lanes, shipments get out faster than in other east coast ports.
The Port of Virginia ships out to over 200 countries every day, and 40 international carriers go out for shipments every week. Thirty-three percent of all cargo in the port goes in and out by rail, which makes for faster regional service. You'll even find a commitment to the environment here with a 38% decrease in air emissions over the last 17 years.
Other Ports Within the Port of Virginia for Warehousing Services
As part of the above port's facilities, you'll find other essential ports like The Port of Richmond along the west bank of the James River. The largest terminal is the Norfolk International Terminals, which you'll find along the Elizabeth and Lafayette Rivers.
Craney Island is the newest expansion here that's expected to bring in larger vessels and more extensive international trade. While still in development, this port area may make a larger impact in Virginia shipping within the coming decade.
Roads and Rail
Richmond's convenience above brings a lot more to you in the way of interstate highways and rail service. Highways like I-95, I-81, and I-66 (as just a few) help you get goods trucked to other states within a short time. I-95 was once one of only two highways in the nation with a rail line in the median.
Rail service near Richmond is superior as well with ten railroads and two of the largest train services in the nation: CSX Corporation and Norfolk Southern Corporation.
Let us help you find a 3PL in the best Virginia location for your shipping needs.
Contact us here at WarehousingAndFulfillment.com so you can use our comprehensive research to find the best 3PL warehouses in the nation.
Search Our Directory of Virginia 3rd Party Warehousing & Fulfillment Companies
Check out some of the quality partners that we’ve pre-screened that offer Fulfillment Services in Virginia, Fulfillment in Virginia, Warehousing in Virginia, Pick and Pack in Virginia, and Order Fulfillment in Virginia:
Richmond Fulfillment is a Full Service 3rd Party warehouse and logistics firm. With a strategic location in Richmond, Virginia and close proximity to Norfolk port, we provide 1-2 day shipping to 60% of the US population. We specialize in e-commerce fulfillment and are familiar and integrated already with many of the top online retailers. We can offer discounting LTL & parcel rates, and select customers may sell their goods to harder to gate retailers through our warehouse even if they do not maintain a direct relationship. We are experienced and capable of drop ship, B2C and B2B fulfillment, with full web store and EDI integration. Every customer receives a dedicated account manager for superior customer service and response time. We have extensive experience in product sourcing and development, with working contacts in China, and can assist your company with inbound shipping and freight forwarding from overseas manufacturers.
NOVA ENTERPRISES LLC provides businesses with the highest caliber of dependable results. With clients ranging from businesses to governmental entities, NOVA ENTERPRISES LLC offers a full suite of warehousing, fulfillment and shipping services. Although they have the ability to help with standard B2B and B2C fulfillment scenarios, NOVA ENTERPRISES LLC offers unique and targeted services for specific industries that many fulfillment providers don't offer, such as industry specific wholesale medical supplier services for Virginia with a dedicated pharmacist on staff. Its wide breadth of experience separates it from the pack.
Turning Point Logistics can support customers’ needs in all phases of the supply chain. Our Robust WMS and EDI capabilities, along with our experienced development team, allow for comprehensive, customized, cost effective solutions. With streamlined warehouse activities such as pick/pack/ship and inventory control functionality deliver efficiency and return increased margins. TPL’s sound implementation process creates a precision and timely start-up, with a seamless transition, and ongoing program management. Our locations in Columbus, OH and Norfolk, VA provide strategic locations to meet your 3PL needs.
Orbit Logistics - Ashland, VA
Order Fulfillment – Warehousing Services – 3PL – Value Added Solutions
Incorporated in 1985, Orbit Logistics is family owned and headquartered in Richmond, Virginia.
|Fulfillment Services:||Value Added Services:|
BoxInBoxOut has been providing high quality, high-touch order fulfillment services for over ten years. We have proudly served customers who sell a wide variety of products, from fragile china and crystal to heavy furniture and expensive Italian lighting, both to the wholesale and retail trades, as well as direct to the consumer.
- Pick, Pack and Ship
- Quality Assurance
- Custom Packaging
- Assembly & Kitting Gift Wrapping
- Returns Processing/Refurbishing
Want to be listed? Find out more information now.
Since 2005 We've Been Helping Companies Just Like Yours
Your contact information is held in the strictest of confidence. We will contact you before we connect you with vendors so that we can learn about your situation, obtain any of your contact preferences, and answer any of your questions.
YOU have control over your contact details:
- No unwanted contacts - you control how vendors respond to you
- Remain confidential if you wish
- No commitment to choose any of our vendors
- Ask our Fulfillment experts any questions you have!